Thursday, December 4, 2008

The real purpose of bouncy seats

I have uncovered the real purpose of bouncy seats, and it has nothing to do with gross motor skills or hand eye coordination.  I bought a "kick and play"  while we were living in Nebraska at a yard sale, I even had to sew on two of the toys back on.  Three of my children have been entertained by it.

But it's real purpose is  it is small enough to be put in the bathroom where you can see it so you can actually have a shower.    If the baby is in the bouncy seat and buckled in, it is less likely that the 4 year old will try to pick them up or put blankets or pillows over their head. Notice that I said less likely.   However I still utter phrases I never thought I would, especially while naked.  "Immy, don't put your fingers in her nose".    Who knew going into this motherhood thing, that showering would be such a public event.   

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marilyn. Good to see you on facebook and now an official "blogger". I hope you don't mind if I pop in every now and again. Love all your mom advice and random cute stories. Keep it up. Feel free to visit our blog too. See you at church!

mindy said...

Hey, my sister, Julie sent me your blog address--she's very up on these kind of things! I had to laugh when I read your "kids and showering" story...I'll never forget running down my street in a towel with wet hair, after my 1 and 2 year olds. They stood on each other's shoulders to undo the chain lock, that I mistakenly thought they could never get open (yeah, right). Showers are not for the fainthearted.

Corbett Family said...

I discovered this purpose for bouncy seats right after my second son was born and I was afraid of what my oldest son would do to him while I was in the shower. I am now expecting my fourth child (my first girl) and I plan to have the bouncy seat right next to the shower so I can make sure my third son doesn't beat her up.