Friday, December 5, 2008

Boys and Girls

When I was a junior in undergraduate I wrote a paper for my psychology class called "Boys and Girls, Stereotypes and School".  It's basic premise was that most of the difference between boys and girls had more to do with nurture rather then nature.  Boy was I wrong.  

My son who is 6 (and a half he would say), has managed to lose 2 light sabers in the last two years.  He keeps begging me for another one, I have told him that he has lost the other two and I'm not buying him a new one.  So he started using the piece of pvc pipe with some duct tape that was functioning as part of a t-ball stand for a light saber.  He convinced his younger sister to fight with him, her weapon being an old curtain rod.  This has never ended well.  She starts crying within 2 minutes every time.  It wasn't long before that they were taken away as well.  

He has seen Star Wars the same number of times as my oldest (10 year old) daughter and she has yet to make weapons out of legos, pvc pipe or curtain rods.  

3 comments:

Meredith said...

This is so funny that you post this because today I bought my daughter (who turns 5 next week) the "real" build your own light saber interchangeable set. I even have a post last week about my daughters performing a Star Wars play for FHE. My poor husband has all girls (3 plus me...) and they are girly as all get-out but they have this obsession with all things Star Wars lately as well. We made awesome light sabers out of heavy duty cardboard tubes last week. They even think my husband served his mission in Star Wars because he served in the Dominican Republic, as in, The Republic in Star Wars.

Nature? Nurture? I am not sure on this one!

Lisa said...

Um, yeah. Ditto.

Bek said...

Amen. My poor son (who like yours, has three sisters and has never actually been exposed to "boy" toys, b/c we are too tired/lazy to go buy them) manages to turn barbies into guns, doll furniture into light sabers, etc, etc.

I think that someone should get a grant and find the gentetic marker on boys that makes them want to (or rather be COMPELLED to) hit things with sticks. It is like a mission.