Wednesday, December 24, 2008

My complaints about common complaints Day 3

I work pediatric urgent care on evenings and weekends mostly so that I can be home with my kids during the day. I want to go home at the end of my shift cause my kids don't really care how late I was up the night before. There are a lot of times when I am there quite a bit later then we close for legitimate reasons. I don't mind staying with a child who has bad croup or lacerations or dehydration. What I do mind is a parent who brings in their kid right at closing because their child has had abdominal pain for a week, or anything that has been going on for a while and is not acutely worse tonight. Then frequently after I've stayed to see a patient after closing and I given them a prescription for their ear infection or strep or whatever, the parent says "great I'll fill this tomorrow" There are 24 hour pharmacies, 2 within 10 minutes of where I work. If your childs problem is serious enough to keep me late, then at least have the decency to fill the script and start the medication tonight.

1 comment:

wendysue said...

Mmm, Hmm. I totally agree. Working in a dental office, we get a bit of this. . ."I HAVE to get in TODAY!!! It's an emergency!!" to which we ask, "How long has it been bothering?" "Oh, about 2 weeks." I'd love to just say, "well, we'll see you in a couple of days then. . .oh, and please pay your account that's 120 days overdue."

It's sucks to be nice huh?