Sunday, December 21, 2008

My complaints about common complaints Day 2

I frequently see kids who have fairly high fever and when asked if they've had any medication for their fever am told " Well I wanted you to see their fever." I don't want your kid to suffer. Please give them some Tylenol or ibuprofen if they are miserable with fever. I would like to know what it was, so having a thermometer that actually works is extremely helpful. I don't believe anyone that says, "They felt like they were 102." (Sorry mom), she does this too, but if you can tell me their maximum temperature, I'll believe you. The whole process will go much better for everyone if the sick child has had some medication.

One more complaint tomorrow.

3 comments:

roxanne said...

So what about children 2 and under? I am nervous to give my daughter anything with all the information about cold medications, etc. being dangerous for young children.

Marilyn said...

I am talking only about tylenol and ibuprofen, not about cold medication or any combination products. We do no advocate use of cold medication in children less then 4. Ibuprofen can be used in children older then 6 months. Any infant younger then 3 months who has a fever should see a doctor.

Unknown said...

Hey Mar! I love that you are giving advice on your blog. You know I hate sick kids and I'm not good at dealing with them...hence many calls made to you and Chris! :)

I hope you don't mind I actually made a link to your blog on one of my blogposts...and it has already helped a friend of mine!

See you on Christmas!